I’ve never really been a Crock-Pot kind of gal. I’ve always LOVED the idea of having a hot meal ready for me when I got home from work, but never took the time to find any recipes to try out. Well, it just so happens that last week I had some extra time and I got to play around with a few chili recipes. Here’s my favorite mix of 6 different recipes to what I think is the perfect balance of meat, beans, veggies, & heat. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Crockpot Chili
A perfect blend of meat, veggies, & heat!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced & divided
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced and divided
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 large whole can tomatoes with juice, quartered
- 2 cans kidney or pinto beans with liquid
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Garnish: green onion, chopped cilantro, shredded Manchego (optional)
Heat olive oil in large pan with 1/2 onion mixture, garlic, 1/2 bell pepper and 1/2 jalapeño. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add meat and brown. When meat has browned, add desired salt & pepper, and the remaining onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Stir together and cook for additional 5 minutes.
Add mixture to Crock-Pot. Turn on high and add beans, water, spices, tomatoes, tomato paste, and cilantro. Stir together to blend well.
Let cook on high for 6-7 hours.
Garnish with green onions, additional cilantro, and shredded Manchego if desired.