If you’re an expecting mom or are currently nursing then this recipe is going to be your new favorite!
Lactation cookies are pretty much exactly what they sounds like. They’re cookies that can help you produce more milk.
As long as you’re eating enough calories and keeping hydrated, then these cookies can be your new best friend!
There are 4 ingredients which really boost milk supply and they are:
- Flax seed Meal
- Brewer’s Yeast
For this recipe we’re using the first two; oats & flax seed meal. Brewer’s Yeast isn’t gluten-free so I omitted it and fenugreek was only available in capsule form so I left that out too.
Oats contain an immune-stimulating compound called saponins which help increase levels of prolactin, a key hormone for milk production. They’re also super healthy for you and keep you feeling satiated for longer. Make sure you grab the gluten-free oats – we love the rolled oats from Bob’s Red Mill.
Flaxseed Meal contains an abundance of Omega-3 & Omega-6 fatty acids which helps prevent allergies, boosts milk production and aids in brain development.
Now that you know which ingredients help boost milk supply, let’s put them in a yummy recipe that you enjoy without the guilt!
Preheat oven to 375° then mix water & flax seed together in a small bowl. It’s best if it sits about 5 minutes before you mix it in with the rest of the ingredients.
From here you’ll cream together the butter and sugars, then add in the eggs, vanilla and flax seed mix. Next it’s time to add in all the dry ingredients; cacao, flour, baking soda, salt and oats and mix well. Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips and then bake for 10 minutes.
With just a little time to cool, you’ll be enjoying these cookies in no time!
Chocolate Oatmeal Lactation Cookies
- 2 Tablespoons Flax seed Meal
- 4 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix flax seed with water using fork and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cream together butter and both sugars until smooth. Add in room temperature eggs, vanilla and flax seed mix and beat well.
- One at a time, add cacao, flour, baking soda, salt and oats to wet mixture. Beat until everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, place 1-1.5 Tablespoon-sized scoops onto cookie sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.