Maybe it’s the cold weather or the newest addition to our family (or both), but something has really gotten me into holiday baking this season!
My 6 year old son, Maxx, has also been really in the spirit so we’ve been experimenting like crazy.
After the success of our iced gluten-free sugar cookies he asked if we could make something with the mini-marshmallows that have been taunting him in the pantry.
It was quite the debate, but we finally settled on something the whole family would enjoy…and our neighbors too! You guys are going to LOVE this recipe for 3 reasons:
- It’s super easy to make.
- You can use whatever flavors you like.
- It’s such a fun gift-giving treat! (that’s if you decide to share)
The first thing you will need is popcorn! I am using my go-to, most favorite popcorn in the whole world, SkinnyPop. It’s non-gmo, everything-free with no artificial ingredients or flavors and zero trans fat. To get all the nutrition deets check out their page here. Go ahead and grab 8 cups of their original popcorn and set it aside. (Update: I JUST found out that they carry a dusted dark chocolate popcorn which would be AMAZEBALLS in this recipe – so grab it if you can find it and use it in place of their original popcorn for an even richer chocolaty flavor)!
Next, you’ll need butter, mini-marshmallows, chocolate chips and maraschino cherries. Over the next 10 minutes (yep, just 10 minutes total), you’ll melt the butter and marshmallows. Then you’ll stir in the SkinnyPop popcorn, chocolate chips and cherries and form into 3″ balls. Wait a few minutes until everything has cooled and hardened up and you’re good to go! I put some holiday straws in mine, but you could use lollipop sticks or just leave them as is, wrap them up and you’re holiday treat is ready to be gifted or eaten up.
These were so much fun to make that we actually made a second batch the next night with peppermint chunks and white chocolate. The combination of flavors is really endless! If you decide to make these, I’d love to see a picture. Please tag me @bodyrebooted on twitter or instagram and let me know what winning flavor combination you used!
Chocolate Maraschino Cherry Popcorn Balls
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 8 cups SkinnyPop popcorn
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a large pot, melt butter over low heat.
- Once butter is melted, stir in marshmallows until melted.
- Remove pot from heat and add in popcorn, cherries and dark chocolate chips.
- Keep stirring together with plastic spoon until all popcorn is coated.
- Spray hands with cooking spray and form 3″ balls.
- Place balls on cooking sheet lined with parchment paper and insert straws.
- Store all in Ziploc bags or wrap each one individually and give as a gift.