Unicorn recipes are awesome.
I mean, who doesn’t love beautiful rainbow-colored pretty things that you can eat?!
We certainly do and with Easter just a few days away it makes the perfect treat for kids and adults alike.
We wanted to keep these gluten-free, and by we, I mean I. There’s no way I was going to miss out on these beauties! 😉 So we used Barbara’s organic brown rice crisps. Yes, they are brown, so you won’t get that super white contrast, but it was a small price to pay. They’re also non-GMO so that was another determining factor.
Ok, so get yourself a box of brown rice crisps, a bag of your favorite marshmallows, colored candy melts (we used blue and purple, but any colors will do), butter and some gel icing if you want to decorate your unicorn masterpieces.
Melt the butter in a large bowl. Once melted, add marshmallows and the colored candy melts. Place bowl into the microwave and heat for 1 minute. The marshmallows will rise and expand and the candy melts will be mostly melted. Stir together, but be careful to not over-stir. Remember painting when you were a kid when you mixed all the colors together, but instead of turning out pretty, it turned into a big fluffy cloud of brown? Yeah, that will happen. So just stir together until colors are blended nicely. If you still have some candy pieces that are not melted, place bowl back into microwave at 10 second increments until melted. Sometimes, just stirring them with the marshmallows is enough to finish melting them. Then stir in the rice crisps.
Line a 9′ x 13″ pan with parchment paper or spray heavily with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the pan and press down until level. Wait 10 minutes until cool and hardened.
If you used parchment paper you can simply lift the rice krispies out of the pan and place on a cutting board; otherwise, you can cut out shapes in the pan.
Put your cookie cutters to use and use the gel icing to give your treats the perfect look!
Unicorn Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups organic gluten-free brown rice crisps
- 1/2 bag of marshmallows (big or small)
- 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup of candy melts in each color
- gel icing for decorations
- Line bottom and sides of 9′ x 13″ pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in large bowl.
- Add marshmallows and all colors of candy melts.
- Microwave butter, marshmallows and candy melts together for 1 minute. Continue microwaving in 10 second increments if candy melts are not melted enough to stir.
- Stir in rice crisps with spoon covered in non-stick spray or use lightly greased hands. Take care not to over-stir so colors still stay true.
- Pour mixture into lined pan and press down until mixture is level.
- Let cool and harden for 10 minutes.
- Lift parchment paper and transfer rice crisps to cutting board.
- Using fun cookie cutters, cut out shapes and place on wax paper.
- Decorate with fun gel icing pens like these glitter gels and enjoy!